How the Facebook Business Manager works
by Gaurav Gupta
The Facebook Bussiness Manager is a useful tool for managing your Facebook pages more effectively and effectively. However, it is not necessarily easy to use. A guide to using the Facebook Business Manager.
This is not an article that you can save to read it * sometime later * because in the shortest possible time, the tool that I present to you today could work quite differently again.
With the Facebook Business Manager, you can manage several Facebook pages and advertising accounts centrally. In itself, this is a useful tool – but we have found that many people have big question marks when it comes to the business manager.
Do not worry, it’s not up to you.
Many users complain about the complexity of the business manager: Thomas Hutter has to Christmas even last year desired improvements of the business manager of the Christ Child , and on Allfacebook.de there was some time ago an entire article about problems with the Facebook Business Manager , including countless comments With further questions and problems.
You see, the Business Manager of Facebook even likes to make professionals despair. For this reason, you will find an overview of the set-up, structure and the most important functions in this article, before there is a brief guide for the most important work steps.
Before you go: Do you need the business manager at all?
Have you assigned an agency to take care of your Facebook page? Do you manage multiple Facebook pages? Or do you need an advertising account that several people can access? Then the Facebook Business Manager definitely makes sense.
If, on the other hand, you only have one person around a single page and / or an advertising account, the Business Manager is not necessary. The tool is primarily designed for managing multiple pages and advertising accounts.
1. Set up the Facebook Business Manager
First, something basic to understand: The Business Manager is a non-public (corporate) account that allows you to centrally manage multiple Facebook pages and advertising accounts, which can be accessed by several people through their Facebook profiles.
To do this, you create a “Company” (= an account) in the Business Manager (which does not have to match a public page) and assigns different roles – such as admin or page editor – to the individual Facebook pages and advertising accounts.
Here is an example of a possible structure of Business Manager accounts and people with different access rights:
The lines represent the access rights of the individual persons. Not every employee in the Business Manager has access to all pages: Baker Rebecka can only access the “bakery bakery” page. In addition, co-workers can have different roles for different pages: Kaffe Karl is an administrator for “Coffe to go”, but is a page editor for “Cupcakes and Coffe”. The agency does not have access to the “bakery bakery” side. Eisdielen Dieter looks after his side alone and therefore does not have a business manager, but can still work with the agency.
It is also possible to set up different advertising accounts so that only certain people have access to them:
Here the CCB Company has set up the “Coffee” advertising account to which Agnes agency can access to advertise “Coffee to go” and “Cupcakes and Coffee”. For the “bakery bakery” you have a separate advertising account – the agency can not see this.
The creation of the Business Manager itself is simple: you go to business.facebook.com , click “Create Account” and follow the instructions – a few clicks you have created a business manager for your company.
Before you do this, however, you should determine who is setting up the Business Manager, and whether you really want it – because it can not be undone. It is only possible to remove its page from Business Manager.
It is even more complex when the Business Manager is set up, starting with the addition of pages, the creation of projects, the access request, the creation of advertising accounts, the distribution of roles, and more.
A problem with the Business Manager is that it is sometimes not easy to find a suitable explanation in the help area of Facebook on specific questions. That is why I have selected you the corresponding pages on the typical questions with the furnishing.
- General information about the business manager
- Add a page
- Add an advertising account
- Explanation of roles and access rights
- Allow employees to create advertisements
- Remove access rights for pages or advertising accounts
Unfortunately, even the explanations on the help pages of Facebook are not always purposeful. That is why there is still a very personal guide through the attitudes and peculiarities of the business manager.
2. Settings and Attributes
If you click through the functions of the Business Manager, you will find that many ways lead to the goal.
Warning: If you do not take is the Business Manager, but visited on your private profile one of your pages, your posting in your own name!
After logging into the Business Manager, you are on the overview page.
In the overview, Facebook pages (orange flag) and advertising accounts (blue dollar sign) are listed. You can mark the pages and accounts that are most important to you as favorites. Unfortunately the favorite pages are not displayed first. But that is how you can write to your personal wish list on Facebook.
Easy to overlook, but very handy: the filter function. It is especially handy if you only want to watch advertising accounts or only pages, since these are listed in sequence.
If you click on “Use Page” in the overview, you will be taken to the Facebook page, where you can act as a page, for example to create articles, plan or view statistics. This use of the page is similar to using Facebook pages without the Business Manager. If the Business Manager confuses you initially, use this option to manage your page.
Tip : If you click on the logo / flag, the page opens in a new tab.
Business Manager Settings
In the overview you will find on the right side a reference to the business manager settings (but you can also go to the Burger menu). Here you can manage or create people, pages, advertising accounts, and other items.
You can also apply here for access rights for pages or advertising accounts. If you have released something – for example, to help an agency look after your site – you can see this under “Partner”.
If you manage many different pages and advertising accounts, you can create “projects”. In projects you can, for example, bundle several pages of a customer and related advertising accounts – a new employee does not have to be released each individual element, but only the respective project.
You can access the settings for page notifications via the Business Manager settings. Then click on “Settings”. After activating the Business Manager, you only receive e-mail notifications for pages, even if you have activated the private notifications. Very clever, Facebook!
The burger menu
In the Burger menu, you can create posts and advertisements, manage items such as target groups, images, pixels, product catalogs and company locations, as well as edit the settings of the Business Manager (but not of individual pages). If you click on »Business Manager« in the menu, you will return to the overview.
Whether you click on “Power Editor” or “Page Contribution”: The Power Editor opens.
The only difference:
- If you choose the Power Editor, you will be able to open your advertising accounts and create or edit advertisements.
- If you choose page submissions, you can create, plan, or save as a draft for all pages to which you have access, and not view, but not edit, your advertising announcements (not all advertisements). However, you can create new posts for advertisements.
Caution: Although Facebook on the help page claims otherwise: If you click the burger menu “Power Editor”, you can there no side posts create.
The Power Editor
The Power Editor works only with the Chrome Web Browser (otherwise the Ad Manager works better than with other browsers). In the Power Editor, you can create and edit advertisements and posts as well as statistics.
In addition, you can select pages with bookmarks under »Pages contributions« – these will also appear at the top.
The advantage here is: To manage contributions from different pages, you do not need to click back and forth between the pages to access the pages, but you can manage them centrally in the editor, and only have to select the respective page.
You can find more information on the creation of contributions under the section Short instructions: Create and plan posts.
On the left, three categories are displayed:
- The first two categories are respectively planned and published articles – as one knows it from the normal administration of a Facebook page.
- The third category is »advertising advertisements«. Below you will find not only all advertisements, but unpublished contributions in the Power Editor, which could also be used as advertisements, as well as advertisements, which can be published as page contributions (on the Timeline). Sounds funny, but is so.
Brief instructions: How do I do something?
Finally, I have a brief guide to the most important functions for you:
Edit the page info
To do this, you must select “Use page”. From there you can edit the page information as usual in the tabs.
Add a page to Business Manager
- Accesses the “Business Manager Settings” menu in the Burger menu.
- Under “People and Elements”, select the “Pages” category.
- Then click on the blue “Add new page” button on the right.
- Now you have the choice between “claim page” and “request access”. You should only claim a page if it belongs to you or to your company. Otherwise, choose “Request Access”. The owner (admin) of the page will then receive an e-mail to approve the access.
Alternatively, click on “Request access” or “Claim element” in the overview at the top right.
Afterwards, you must still assign the page to the respective persons or projects in the “Business Manager Settings”. You can not see the page before.
Create and plan posts
There are several ways to create or plan posts.
- Either you call the overview, use the respective page and create the “normal” the contribution.
- Or alternatively you can use the Power Editor.
Create posts in the Power Editor
To create your posts in the Power Editor:
First, choose the menu option “Page Contribution” and select the page from the drop-down menu on the top left of the page. In Power Editor, there are several ways to create a post.
- If you click on “Create Post” under “Planned Posts”, a window will open where you can create your post (as with the ‘normal’ use of a page). You can then publish, plan or save as a draft as usual.
- If you select “published posts” and then click on “Create a new article”, a window will open allowing you to create a page contribution or an advertisement ad. The advantage here : you can easily customize settings (for example, the link title) Add and call-to-action buttons. There is also a spelling check for your contribution text. How reliable and accurate that is, however, I have not been able to test myself yet – for this we finally have a rector in our agency.
So, now it’s a little complicated: as soon as you click on “Post a new post”, the post will be moved to “Advertising Ad Contributions”. The contribution is stored there and unpublished.
As soon as you have planned the post, it can also be found on the normal page view under “planned posts”.
As soon as you call up the menu item »Pages contributions«, you are directly in the category »Advertising advertisements«.
When creating a post, the option to use the post as an advertisement is pre-set. In addition, you can not tag other sites here. You can do this after you have planned the post: Just go to Edit post under “Actions”.
Here too you have several possibilities:
- Through the advertising ad manager, which you can reach through the overview in the Business Manager, where you select the appropriate advertising account – or you can select any promotional account and then change the account in the advertising ad manager at the top left.
- In the Power Editor (accessible via the menu in the Business Manager): Please note here, which advertising account is selected (button at the top left).
This is just the way you get to the function of creating an advertisement. How advertisements are then created in detail is a more complex issue. This could certainly fill another article, if necessary, we would like to deliver it.
Helpful sites that help you
This was only a part of the functions of the Business Manager. If you are looking for more information, I recommend you the following pages:
- Hutter Consult GmbH
- Practical introduction of Lingner
I hope I got a little clarity in the Facebook Business Manager for you! If you have questions, it provides me happy to help Seokratie ! Or if you would like to reveal your personal tricks to the business manager, leave me a comment.
You do not want to fight through the Facebook jungle? No problem, we will do it for you !